Once a timpanist, always a timpanist.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Watched [Red Cliff] today. And wow, I never enjoyed a chinese movie for such a long time before. The last time I could remember loving a chinese movie was when I watched [Infernal Affairs]


Similar points about [Red Cliff] and [Infernal Affairs]. Both shows starred Tony Leung. I mean, Tony Leung is just the number 1 ultimate movie star in Asia la! He doesn't need to do anything except move his eyes to show the emotion that he's supposed to give. And for someone like me, who has JUST watched [Lust, Caution]. this is like a total 180 degrees change man!

Anyway, the cinematography in [Red Cliff] is just so beautiful. It amazes me how big a scale of a movie set directors can film. It's just breathtaking. The fight scenes were great too. At least for someone who doesn't know Romance of the Three Kingdoms that much, I could differentiate the bad guys (those with circle shields) and the good guys (those in rectangular shields). LOL!

Acting, is needless to say. Everyone did well. I mean for such a long and taxing movie which was set in the period times, the show could easily sway to boring leh. But the show was kept alive with the subtly put jokes and the acting. The funniest part was seeing Zhuge Liang help a horse give birth. HEHE!

I was amazed at seeing the scene where Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang used zithers to 'battle' and test each other out. And within the music they played, they actually conveyed the message that each wanted to pass. Super intense!!! The formations used during the battles could also put football managers into shame man! Muahaha!

So waiting for part 2 of [Red Cliff] to come out la! I hope Zhou Yu and Zhuge Liang don't become enemies. And I hope Sun Shangxiang gets together with Zhuge Liang! LOL! And I hope Cao Cao dies! He's such a meanie la!

Red Cliff deserves a 4.2/5 stars for me!

Men should not accept our destiny, we should choose it.
Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Labels: