Once a timpanist, always a timpanist.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

I've finally finished Moonlight Resonance! Okay, before the post on my review of Moonlight Resonance, I shall compare the characters that appeared in its pre-successor: Heart of Greed and this current show!

On the left will be Heart of Greed, on the right will be Moonlight Resonance.

*WARNING: MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!*

First: the posters.



In terms of background settings, I definitely prefer Heart of Greed's [Short form: HOG] one. Don't you feel it gives you a grander feeling than Moonlight Resonance's [Short form: MR] one? Plus, abalone is a grander food item than mooncakes you know? However, my vote goes to MR, simply because I realise there are bottles of abalone in HOG's background, and they look eerie! And the positioning of MR's cast is to my favour, with Ray in front and Tavia right in front too!

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!

Next: the cast.



Names in show: HOG - Dai Bao, MR - Jo Bao.

Whew this is a bit difficult for me to choose. In the two shows, both characters were quite weak in character at first, until towards the later episodes, where they stood firm with their decision and came in front to protect their children. Dai Bao dies in HOG, but Jo Bao doesn't die in MR and even gets back together with Hor Ma. I think I'll go with Jo Bao in this sense, because he touches my heart more than Dai Bao in the show. Plus, he doesn't die!

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Dai Kai, MR - Hor Ma.

No fight! LSK totally rules as Hor Ma! Her lousy gags were super cold each time she said it, and she said it with such conviction some more! And it was not easy bringing up 6 children by herself, and telling herself not to cry even when she felt like crying, because their children will be worried. Woots, Hor Ma rocks. I remembered I wasn't very sad when Dai Kai died, but the time when Yan Hung slapped her and her glasses flew, I felt so sad for Hor Ma! Plus, Hor Ma is a 'blubbering piece of fat' in the show. MUAHAHA!

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Sai Kai, MR - Sa Yi.

This goes without a fight too. Susanna sang the themesongs for both of the dramas, and I must say, 无心害你 is a nicer song to hear in the long run. Although Susanna acted damn well in both dramas, I felt her character development was better in MR. She was irritating at first, speaking without going through her brains, then changing for the better because she didn't want Ka-mei, her daughter to follow in her footsteps. Plus, I love the way she slapped Yan Hung three times and pretended that it was her who slapped her instead! xD

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Lei Yi, MR - Yan Hung.

Finally, a vote goes to HOG! I super duper loved Lei Yi in HOG; she was the unfaltering presence that deterred Sai Kai from swallowing the fortune earlier. I loved her hardworking attitude and how she thought of the family first even though she was misunderstood. In MR, Michelle becomes evil complete with a Cruella de Ville hairstyle and she really looks old in the show! But I hate the producers for making Yan Hung quite one-sided. She did all the bad things because she didn't want her family to split. And she looks younger in HOG la. =x

Vote: Heart of Greed!



Names in show: HOG - Uncle Bor, MR - Yan-tse.

His.character.in.MR.was.so.redundant. It felt like TVB was just throwing him in to give him face because he won Best Supporting Actor the year before. Okay, both characters are not very likeable, but Yan-tse was just plain stupid in MR. At least Uncle Bor was irritating, but it affected the story line directly, and he didn't have any romantic storyline unlike in MR, where he was paired up with Susanna. OMG! So wrong!

Vote: Heart of Greed!

Okay now for the younger generation.



Names in show: HOG - Duk Duk Dei, MR - Ah Ka.

AH KA AH KA! This means alot to me, considering I wasn't a huge Moses fan in the first place. I didn't like his stupidness in HOG and the fact that he got together with Sheung Joi Sum at the end. But Ah Ka was different. He transformed from someone who didn't really get along well with the family, to loving someone in the family who wasn't related by blood but was adopted (Ah Yuet). And their chemistry with each other is sooooooo good! From starting to watch the show for Ray, I ended up loving the show just for both Ah Ka and Ah Yuet!

A little biasness:



Ahhhhhhhhh they look so sweet together! MOTA FOREVER! Plus, Tavia is eternal beauty! Even my mum said so, when she doesn't know who Tavia is!

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Alfred/Ching Leung, MR - Goon Ka Zai.

This is super difficult! I've been tossing up this option for the longest time. In HOG, Alfred plays a lawyer who cheats on Sheung Joi Sum, but in the end, he does each and everything for Sheung Joi Sum after promising never to make her cry again. Even when he died, he pretended to be OK so that Sheung Joi Sum couldn't feel sad. It was one of the best dying scenes I've seen in my whole life. In MR, Goon Ka Zai plays a guy who puts his family in front of everything else, even to the extend of sacrificing his love life. And he has only loved one person his whole life: Yu So-Tsau. He will lend his time to Yu So-Tsau when she's feeling down, and accompany her even when she can't sleep at 2am! BTW, Goon Ka Zai and Yu So-Tsau are step-siblings.

I think I'll go with HOG for this. Goon Ka Zai seems too perfect for words. T_T. And I hate him getting together with Yu So-Tsau.

Vote: Heart of Greed!



Names in show: HOG - Jackie, MR - Ah Yuet.

Enough said. OF COURSE IT'S TAVIA IN MOONLIGHT RESONANCE! Although she's pretty in both shows, but I prefer her beauty in MR. She looks more classy and real, whereas in HOG, she's more atas which I can't feel for. Ah Ka and Ah Yuet's romance was so touching, and the series of events that led up to them getting together were so funny yet heart-wrenching to watch. She was the adopted daughter in the big family, and unknowingly fell for Ah Ka through helping him with his PR film. Even when she was misunderstood, she did not rant back and instead kept it all inside her so that her family can be spared from the quarreling. If not for the both of them, I might have given up MR. Tavia's crying scenes has improved so much, and I'm really rooting for her to win something at the TVB awards this year!

P/S: I love the scene when Ah Yuet was consoling Ah Ka saying that she didn't call Hor Ma, and when Ah Ka wanted to check, he didn't know how to press her phone buttons! So cute!

Some more pictures: (I'm really biased)



Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Gilbert, MR - Ling Chi-Shun.

Definitely Gilbert. Although Ling Chi-Shun's character was nicer to like, but Gilbert had a bigger role as compared to Ling Chi-Shun's one. Bosco's character in MR was simply a catalyst to play up the love triangle between Goon Ka Zai and Yu So-tsau. At least Gilbert didn't have a love story, and his chemistry with Jackie (Tavia) was sooo sweet! But, he looks more like a himbo in HOG than MR.

Vote: Heart of Greed!



Names in show: HOG - Sheung Joi Sum, MR - Yu So-Tsau.

OMG, I hate Yu So-Tsau in MR. I mean, to be a doctor, you actually need to have quite a high level of EQ, but Yu So-Tsau didn't have it at all! All she did in the show, was to mourn over which guy was better (Ling Chi-Shun or Goon Ka Zai). Frankly, I would have preferred if she had chosen Ling Chi-Shun over Goon Ka Zai, because she doesn't deserve him at all! She could tell herself that she won't break up Chi-Shun and Wing Lam, but the next day, she still goes out with him. Tsk! In HOG, Sheung Joi-Sum was so much more adorable. Her chemistry with Ray was so much sweeter and she had so much higher EQ than Yu So-Tsau. Plus, her acting was better in HOG!

Vote: Heart of Greed!



Names in show: HOG - Ah Yan, MR - Ah Hing.

Ah Hing is a mute in the show, so basically in the whole show, she was using sign language to communicate. And other than Moses/Tavia's scenes which made me cry, the other scenes that made me cry was always the one with Ah Hing in it. My deepest impression was when she queried Ma Ma (Lee Heung Kam) why she had changed for the worst, and her heartfelt pain was transposed through her sign language. A super powerful scene. And how Ah Hing found true love in Kelvin, who overcame all odds to be together with her. There's nothing to dislike about Ah Yan in HOG, but Ah Hing left me with a deeper impression.

Vote: Moonlight Resonance!



Names in show: HOG - Ah Foon/Foon Zai (I can't remember!), MR - Ah Yuen.

Lokyi's character in HOG had a bigger role to play than in MR. In MR, Ah Yuen was just a stepmummy's boy who was manipulated by Yan Hung so that she can obtain the shares in Ka Ho Yuet Yuen. And his hairstyle in MR was terrible! OMG, Lokyi looks so much better in short hair. In HOG, Foon Zai was Sai Kai's son, but he stood firm in the end, and didn't side with his evil mother. Don't you think he looks more handsome in the HOG poster?

Vote: Heart of Greed!

Haha, overall score. Heart of Greed - 6, Moonlight Resonance - 7!

Moonlight Resonance has definitely been the better show, even if the storyline wasn't that good at times. But it didn't leave me with the feeling of being too tired from watching all the shouting matches. Moonlight Resonance definitely deserves my vote!

Men should not accept our destiny, we should choose it.
Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Labels: